News Detail

MAT Staff April 16, 2021

Towns Need DUNS Number & SAM Registration

To receive funds from the American Rescue Plan (ARP), all local governments must have a valid DUNS number and be registered in the System for Award Management (SAM). Here is a list of local governments who have a valid, verified DUNS number on file with MMB and those we could not verify. Please note, local governments may have a valid DUNS number that MMB was not able to verify. It is important to note that local governments must complete BOTH steps – getting a DUNS number, and then registering it in SAMs.

As soon as possible, ALL local governments should:

  1. Ensure your entity has a valid DUNS number. A DUNS number is a unique nine-character number used to identify an organization and is issued by Dun & Bradstreet. The federal government uses the DUNS number to track how federal money is allocated. A DUNS number is required prior to registering with the SAM database.


Registering for a DUNS number is free of charge.

To verify that your DUNS number is valid, or to register for a  DUNS number, please visit or call 1-866-705-5711.


  1. Ensure the entity has an active SAM registration. SAM is the official government-wide database to register with in order to do business with the U.S. government. All Federal financial assistance recipients must register on and renew their SAM registration annually to maintain an active status to be eligible to receive Federal financial assistance. There is no charge to register or maintain your entity SAM registration.

If an entity does not have an active SAM registration, please visit, to begin the entity registration or renewal process. Please note that SAM registration can take up to three weeks; delay in registering in SAM could impact timely payment of funds.
Click here for a quick overview for SAM registration

Website Design Developed By AE2S Communications